Taking an Onsen is not just a fantastic way to releave a tired and achy body after a hard day on the piste, it's also a rich cultural experience.
It is important that you remember when visiting an Onsen some basic etique in order not to embarras yourself or your fellow bathers.
- You need to be complete undressed when entering the shower/ bathing area. You can take a ''Tenugui'' or ''Privacy towel'' (small face cloth) if you prefer to cover your modesty.
- You should then thoroughly rinse yourself, making sure that you wash all soap off before then going on to enter the Onsen.
- Try to be quite and avoid running.
- Then just relax, take in your surrounds and talk to your fellow bathers.
- O yes, if you don't know what to do with your privacy towel once you've enter the Onsen, fold it up and place it on your head (no kidding!)